Admire the Ghent Altarpiece through special glasses.
In Ghent, the restoration works on St. Bavo's
Cathedral have been fully completed. Main feature: a new hypermodern
visitor centre for the Ghent Altarpiece. In the cathedral’s crypt,
Happiness Brussels and Bliss Content have created an impressive
Augmented Reality tour focusing on the cathedral and its most famous
work of art, the Ghent Altarpiece. The project was commissioned by
Using AR glasses (the Microsoft Hololens 2.0),
visitors go on a journey into the digital past, to relive the rich
history of the Ghent Altarpiece and St. Bavo's Cathedral. At the end of
the digital tour, visitors can admire the real Ghent Altarpiece in all
We are very proud of this great AR project at
this beautiful location, on one of the world's most iconic works of art.
More than 150 AR glasses are used, which is completely unique.
The Hololens 2.0 is Microsoft's take on
Augmented Reality. It uses holograms to display information, blend with
the real world, or even simulate a virtual world, using multiple
sensors, advanced optics and holographic processing melting seamlessly
with its environment.
During this project, a number of technical challenges originated in some world firsts.
- Dynamic flow & navigation: a full true-to-life automatic navigation with virtual arrows, feet and direction indicators provides each visitor with the best and easiest experience.
- Interactive 3D AR assistant: this digital assistant will check whether visitors wear the glasses correctly, reassures and guides the visitor through this new experience and will also address visitors walking in the wrong direction.
- Custom Device Management: a tailor-made monitoring tool for staff checks the installation/circuit 7/7, 24/24 for malfunctions, battery status and user flow.
- High quality 3D models: models were optimized for the specific needs of the augmented reality projection. Ensuring high detail and material properties while staying within the performance limits of the headsets.
- Dynamic loading: smart scene loading logic guarantees the scenes are loaded in the background so the user never has to wait.